1. When is the 2014 Wineglass?
Sunday, October 5, 2014 will be the 33rd Annual Wineglass Marathon and 4th Annual Wineglass Half Marathon.
2. When does registration open for 2014?
Registration will open for the 2014 full and the half on Monday, December 2, 2013.
3. Where do I pick up my champagne and glass?
Splits and glasses can be picked at the Information Center of Corning next to Centerway Square – 1 West Market St. – by bringing your bib in with you.
Pick up hours:
- Friday Noon – 8PM
- Saturday 10AM – 7PM
- Sunday 9AM – 5PM
4. Why do I have to go somewhere else for the champagne and glass?
The Corning YMCA does not allow alcohol on the premises.
5. Can I get a different sized shirt than I ordered?
You cannot exchange during the Expo, but feel free to stop by the Information Center of Corning on Sunday AFTER the races to see if an extra shirt in the size you desire is available. Exchanged shirts must be unworn.
6. I forgot my shoes... or the airline lost my luggage. Help!
Worldwide Sports Supply (Asics) and the Finger Lakes Running & Triathlon Company will be both be at the Expo at the YMCA. A listing of other stores in the area are available at the information table at the Expo and the Information Center next to Centerway Square.
7. Can I purchase another marathon shirt?
2013 shirts will be on sale on Sunday afternoon at the Information Center of Corning at 1 W. Market St. for $25.
Buses to Starts
8. Will you have buses to the start lines from Corning and what’s the schedule?
Yes, for runners only. The first buses will leave Market Street’s Centerway Square at 5:30AM and run continuously for an hour and a half. Keep in mind that the LAST BUSES DEPART AT 7AM! For those choosing to park at the start of the full, post-race buses will shuttle runners back to their cars in Philips Lighting parking lot in Bath beginning at 11AM on Sunday. Buses will leave on the half hour from 11AM – 2PM.
9. Can I drive and park at the start?
For the full marathon, yes. Park in the Philips Lighting parking lot at 7265 State Rt 54 in Bath. You can either walk the 1⁄4 mile to the start line from there or take one of the shuttle buses provided.
For the half marathon, you CANNOT drive and park at Campbell Savona high school. Only cars of race officials with posted credentials will be allowed into Campbell Savona school’s parking lot.
You must use one of the three options for getting to the start of the half.
- Park in downtown Corning and take a bus from Centerway Square to the start. Buses will begin departing at 5:30AM and run continuously until the last bus leaves Market Street at 7:00AM.
- Drive to the Philips Lighting at 7265 State Rt 54 in Bath and park in same lot as those going to the start of the full marathon. Get on a bus to the start of the half. Buses will also be departing from that lot to drive to the start of the full, so make sure you get on the correct bus! Look for a YELLOW sign going to the start of the half. Shuttle buses back to Philips after the race will run every half hour from 11AM-2PM – leaving from Tioga Ave.
- You can be dropped off at the corner of Main and Horton and walk a short distance (~1/4 mile) to the start. (see map on pg. 4 of runner program)
Viewing of the Half Marathon start and parking is allowed at the American Legion fields off Rt. 333.
10. Where do I park if I’m riding a bus to the start?
The Centerway Parking Garage on Tioga Avenue is adjacent to the bus pickup area and allows free parking on Sundays. Additional parking is available in free City lots behind buildings on the south side of Market Street. Keep in mind that the bridge coming into Corning from the west is closed for construction. If you are coming from the west, exit Interstate 86 at Exit 46, coming across Centerway and turn right onto Tioga Ave to access the Centerway Garage.
11. Will there be adequate capacity on the morning buses to the start lines?
We have added more buses this year to meet the demand for runners getting to the start lines of both the half and the full. However, arrive early! Bus shuttles start at 5:30AM with the last buses departing at 7AM.
Buses to the start of the half will leave from the south side of Market Street (Crystal City Olive Oil side) and to the start of the full from the north side (Old World Café side). Make sure to get in the correct line.
12. Can my friend ride with me on the bus to the start?
The buses are for runners only and for Wineglass authorized bikers who are helping with course safety. Other bikers or friends will not be permitted on the buses.
13. Is there somewhere at the starts to stay warm?
Buildings at both the full and half starts will be opened for runners to wait and stay warm and dry. Additionally, rest room facilities are available at both starts.
14. Do I pick up my bib and chip separately?
No. Your chip is included in your bib.
15. Can someone else pick up my bib?
Yes, but the person must show verification – either your confirmation number or a signed letter indicating your approval with a copy of their ID.
16. Can I wear my bib under my sweatshirt?
No. Bibs must be worn on the outside of all clothing at both the start and finish lines in order for chips to read effectively. Make sure NOT to bend the strips and that all emergency information on the back of the bib is complete. This is critical should you need medical attention on the course.
17. What if I lose my bib?
Please don’t! We cannot provide replacement bibs to any runner, so make sure you keep it in a safe place after you pick it up.
18. Can I pick up my bib at the start?
Yes. If you are arriving the morning of the race, you can pick up your bib and clear plastic gear check bag from race personnel at the start beginning at 7AM. Your marathon shirt, schwag bag, and champagne and wine glass can be picked up after the race at the Information Center in Centerway Square, just adjacent to the finish line.
19. Can I switch from the half to the full (or the full to the half)?
Our switch period closed on August 4 and as both races are filled to capacity, we cannot allow further switches. Race officials will remove the timing strip from your bib if you are at the start of a race for which you’re not registered. The deferral period closed August 4 as well so no deferrals accepted.
20. Can I swap my place in the full with someone who wants to switch to the half?
No. Switches are not allowed and will result in disqualification.
21. Where can I find pasta and gluten free options for my Saturday pre-race meal?
Many area restaurants are ready to provide you with whatever dining preferences you may have. A listing of restaurants, pasta specials, and those offering gluten free pasta is available at here
. Be sure to call ahead for availability.
22. Is there a place to check our bags at the start?
Yes, but we will ONLY accept the CLEAR Gear Check Bags! You will receive one in your Runner's Goodie Bag. ALL items you wish to check must be in these bags. UPS Gear Check will NOT accept any other bags, boxes, luggage, etc. NO EXCEPTIONS. At the Expo, you’ll pick up your bib first, then your shirt, and then your runner bag. A table with stickers and Sharpies will be right there for you to write your bib number on and affix it to the clear plastic drawstring bag in your runner bag. You will not be allowed to enter the bus to the start with a backpack or other large bag. Hydration packs are allowed but subject to search. This is the "new" standard rule. Please plan accordingly!
Look for the UPS trucks at the start of both the Full and the Half. Trucks are assigned different bib number ranges, so look for signage on each truck to ensure you hand your bag into the correct truck. The UPS trucks will be parked on Market Street just past the finish line for bag pickup.
23. Where are the viewing areas?
Your marathon program, included in your bag, has a complete map of the course and designated viewing areas for your family and friends. Please remember that stopping along Interstate 86 to observe the race is unsafe and strictly prohibited.
24. Are there wave starts or not?
Race officials announced on Wednesday, Oct. 2 that there would be NO wave starts. Runners will be asked to stand with a pace group close to their approximate time and ensure that the elite runners are at the front.
25. Which roads will be closed or changed on Sunday morning?
Please reference road closure details here
. Particularly important to note are three new changes this year:
- Exit 45 into and out of Corning is closed due to bridge construction. Access into and out of Corning should be via Exit 46. From downtown Corning, follow Centerway/Rt 414 towards the Corning Museum of Glass which will lead you to Interstate 86.
- Miles 13-19 will allow one-way westbound traffic only for the first time this year. Runners on this stretch are running east so vehicles will NOT be able to follow the runners along this part of the route.
- Cars will NOT be able to drive to and park at Campbell Savona school for the start of the half marathon. See #1 on pg. 3 of your program for available options to the start.
26. Can someone bike with me on the course?
No, we have a group of authorized Bikers on the course that will be leading runners, moving runners to the side if needed and providing support when needed. Other bikers will be asked to leave the course if riding with a runner.
27. Where are the water stations and will you have fuels available?
28. Can my children run with me across the finish line?
While we understand that you’d love to share your achievement with your children alongside, for the safety of your children and other runners, we are not allowing anyone without a bib on this part of the course. Our finish line area must be restricted so that medical staff can effectively access and treat runners. We appreciate your cooperation.
29. Can I still register for the 5K run on Saturday?
Yes! The 5K table at the Expo is available for registration on Friday, or you can register before the 8:30AM race on site at the Corning War Memorial Stadium (at Corning East High School 201 Cantigny St.) on Saturday morning starting at 7:00AM. Registration on Friday and Saturday is $30.
30. Where does the Saturday 5K start?
Corning’s War Memorial Stadium is next to Corning East High School (201 Cantigny St.), directly across the street from the Corning YMCA. Registration and bib pickup will open at 7AM with the race start at 8:30AM.
31. Do you have massage or therapists available after the race?
Arnot Health has a crew of physical therapists available in a tent just off Centerway Square near the Clocktower for anyone wanting stretching, massage, etc. No charge for this added feature from our Presenting Sponsor!
32. Are there shuttles back to the start line after the race so I can pick up my car?
Yes but only to the Full start in Bath. Check your marathon program for details. Shuttles back Philips Lighting parking lot will leave from the bus loop on Tioga Avenue, next to Centerway Square (see map in your program on pg. 5). Buses will leave every half hour from 11:00AM - 2:00PM. Post-race buses will only return to Philips Lighting parking lot (near the Full start line). No transportation to the start of the Half is offered this year.
33. Where can I find my time?
Your bib includes a QR code which can be scanned by your smart phone to access Auyer Timing’s site and individual results. Information is batch loaded by Auyer Timing, so your chip time will be available within 15 minutes of finishing. Split times are not available via the QR code.
34. What can I do after the race?
Most restaurants in the area are open for business. The Wineglass Wind Down party will start at 4PM at the newly renovated Grill 125 at the Radisson Hotel Corning at 125 Denison Parkway East – at the east end of Market Street, just 2 blocks from the finish line. For those with more time, plan a stop at the Corning Museum of Glass (Show Your Bib for a special admission price of $6) and the Rockwell Museum of Western Art (Show Your Bib for FREE admission), both in Corning, open until 5PM. Explore the shops along Market Street or hop in your car and take in a few of the many wineries that line the shores of the scenic Finger Lakes. Lots of experiences to explore on CorningFingerLakes.com
35. Where and what time are the awards?
Award ceremonies will be on Centerway Stage – next to the finish line. Awards will be given here for Open, Masters, and Veterans only. Age group awards can be picked up at the Information Center adjacent to Centerway Square. Awards not picked up on Sunday will be mailed.
|Age Group Awards Available
36. I dropped my medal and it broke. Can I get a replacement?
Certainly! Stop into the Information Center with your bib and medal ribbon and we’ll replace for you.
37. How late will showers be available at the Corning YMCA?
The Corning YMCA will be open Sunday from 9AM – 6PM for post-race showers for runners.
38. Is there a lost and found?
The information table at the Expo will have a lost & found. After 5PM Saturday, all items will be moved to
The Information Center of Corning just off Centerway Square. After Sunday, they will be in the Wineglass Marathon office, in the same building as the Information Center but a different office suite.